Preparing for Adulthood
The Preparing for Adulthood programme (PfA) is funded by the Department for Education as part of the delivery support for the SEN and disability reforms.
Preparing for Adulthood is part of the Delivering Better Outcomes Together (DBOT) team which is a consortium of Mott Macdonald, NDTi and the Council for Disabled Children.
The Preparing for Adulthood programme is delivered by a partnership between the National Development Team for inclusion and the Council for Disabled Children and brings together a wide range of expertise and experience of working with young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their families, at a local and national level and across government, to support young people into adulthood with paid employment, good health, independent living and friends, relationships and community inclusion.
The Preparing for Adulthood team advocates partnership working with children, young people and their families at the centre, across Education, Health and Care in a way that supports young people and their families to be part of their communities and to lead fulfilled and fulfilling lives.
Members of the Preparing for Adulthood team previously worked on a number of programmes including key transition programmes such as the Transition Support Programme, Valuing People Now, Valuing Employment Now (Getting a Life project, Jobs First, Aspirations for Life and Project Search) and Learning for Living and Work.
During the course of the last 5 years, PfA have been working closely with regional SEND leads and the Department for Education and other partners. During this time we helped to identify the following key messages to support four pathways to ensure young people with special educational needs and disabilities have improved life chances.
- Personalise your approach - develop a personalised approach to all aspects of support using person centred practices, personal budgets and building communities.
- Develop a shared vision of improving life chances with young people, families and all key partners.
- Improve post-16 options and support - develop post-16 options and support that lead to employment, independent living, good health, friends, relationships and community inclusion.
- Raise aspirations - raise aspirations for a fulfilling adult life, by sharing clear information about what has already worked for others.
We are delighted to announce that the Department for Education are continuing to support the essential work provided by DBOT and that the Preparing for Adulthood team and have continued investment in the growth and provision of the programme.
We will continue to operate on a regional and national level this year but we will also be focussing on nine demonstration sites in order to identify exemplar practice in six key areas. We will then ensure that this best practice is shared on a regional and national basis to support further development across the regions.
The six key areas are:
- Local Offers around PfA;
- EHC Plans around PfA;
- Progress on integration and strategic joint commissioning;
- Strategic engagement of parent/carers and young people;
- Employment and paid work for young people;
- Progress on personal budgets and personalisation.
For further details about the work of the Preparing for Adulthood Team please contact Julie.Pointer@ndti.org.uk
For further information about the work that the PfA team are doing please use the following resources: