SEND Leadership Programme: Module One - Leadership and Change
Wednesday 27th - Thursday 28th September 2017.
The Children and Families Act 2014 expects significant changes in the way that SEND services and support are delivered and the outcomes that are achieved. This will require effective local leadership that understands the reforms and their aspirations, and is also able to demonstrate effective, solution-focused leadership that leads to real change.
For the last two years, to help with this challenge, the Department for Education has commissioned a leadership development programme from NDTi as part of the national delivery support contract ‘Delivering Better Outcomes Together’. Following extremely positive feedback from participants and managers DfE is commissioning and part-funding a third cohort of 40 people for 2017.
Module One: Leadership and Change.
- The history of special educational needs and disability to contextualise the society and services within which we operate.
- The policy context – the Children and Families Act 2014 and related policies. The challenges this brings for SEND Managers and colleagues.
- On the nature of leadership – what is a leader, what are the key characteristics of effective leadership, how to build those into a personal operating style.
- Understanding how organisations work – the theory and practice of organisational life. Why do our organisations function in the ways that they do, what are the implications of that for how we operate as leaders.
- Change management strategies – the theory and practice of how to make effective change happen in ways that produce the desired outcomes.
- Development of the personal, work-based ‘project’
Please note this event is only open to people on the SEND 2017/2018 programme.