Creating an Employment Pathway for Young people with SEND
9th November 2017.
This event is part of Preparing for Adulthood's work with Opportunity Areas,
West Somerset Opportunity Area – Employment Pathway workshop
Please note, this event is restricted to those supporting young people with SEND who reside in West Somerset.
Overview and aims
Being supported towards greater independence and employability can be life-transforming for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). All young people should be helped to develop the skills and experience, and achieve the qualifications they need, to succeed in their careers. The vast majority of young people with SEND are capable of sustainable paid employment with the right preparation and support with the professionals working with them sharing that presumption. High aspirations about employment should be translated into helping young people develop the skills that employers value through partnership working between education, supported employment, businesses, social care, and economic regeneration. Using a wide range of imaginative approaches can help young people with SEND achieve their employment aspirations. These include:
- A curriculum that includes a focus on work
- Talks by role models and motivational speakers
- Business awareness sessions
- Taster opportunities
- Supported work experience
- Exploring self-employment and micro-enterprise opportunities
This workshop informs and provides clarity on the evidence-based approach to supporting young people with SEND into paid jobs, and will also raise aspirations that employment is both positive and possible. It will also ensure there is a shared understanding of what’s working and not working locally, and what needs to change to ensure more young people leave education with jobs and sustainable careers. By the end of the workshop, there will co-produced priorities and actions that will be added the local action and support plan.
Who is it for?
This event is restricted to those supporting young people with SEND who reside in West Somerset and is suitable for:
- Schools, colleges and training providers
- CIAG providers
- Supported employment providers
- Social enterprise, community and voluntary sector
- Children and Adult social care
- Children and Adult health
- Jobcentre Plus
- ESCC – those involved in SEND and Opportunity Area work
- West Somerset Council – those involved in SEND and Opportunity Area work
- Local employers with an active interest in developing opportunities for young people
How can I book on to the event?
To book your place, go to https://creating-an-employment-pathway.eventbrite.co.uk