What types of cookies do we use?
There are two types of cookie you may encounter when using our website:
- First party cookies: these are our own cookies, controlled by us and used to provide information about usage of our site.
- Third party cookies: these are cookies found in other companies' internet tools which we are using to enhance our site, for example Facebook or Twitter have their own cookies, which are controlled by them.
Within these groups, there are several different types of cookies that may be used on a website:
- Strictly necessary cookies - Necessary cookies help make a website usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.
- Functionality cookies - These are cookies that automatically remember choices that users have previously made in order to improve their experience next time they visit a website. For example, where users select their preferred language or layout.
- Analytical/Performance cookies - These cookies collect anonymous information about users for the purpose of assessing the performance of a website. Common uses include well-known web analytics tools such as ‘Google Analytics’.
- Marketing cookies - Marketing cookies are used to track visitors across websites. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging for the individual user and thereby more valuable for publishers and third party advertisers.
What cookies does our site use?
First Party Cookies
- Name: exp_last_activity Purpose: Allows us to remember the last time you interacted with the site within the current visit
- Name: exp_last_visit Purpose: Allows us to remember the last time you visited the site
- Name: exp_tracker Purpose: Allows us to remember the last 5 pages you viewed
Third Party Cookies
- Name: Cookies with names prefixed by ‘__utm’ Purpose: Stores information used by Google Analytics to track user activity on the site.
- Name: BX Purpose: Stores information used by Flickr when displaying photos on the site
- Name: guest_id Purpose: Stores information used by Twitter when displaying tweets on the site
- Name: VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE Purpose: Stores information used by YouTube when embedding videos on the site
- Name: PREF Purpose: Stores information used by YouTube when embedding videos on the site
Your cookie control
If you do not want us to use Functional, Analytical/Performance and Marketing cookies on your device you can switch them off here.
In addition to the controls that we provide, you can choose to enable or disable cookies in your internet browser. By default, most internet browsers accept cookies but this can be changed. For further details, please consult the help menu in your internet browser or visit http://www.aboutcookies.org.uk/managing-cookies